Do You Have What It Takes to Be a Fighter Pilot?
Every F-35 pilot must have a strong academic foundation before their first flight. Skip Hopler, the lead for the F-35 Academic Training Center at Luke Air Force Base, has trained more than a thousand fighter pilots. See if you can ace his test.
When your wingman says “check six,” what should you do?
- Beware of something directly in front of you
- Look for six targets in front of you
- Look directly behind you
- Confirm that the time is 6 o’clock
3. Look directly behind you
Modern fighters are capable of generating up to how many Gs in a tight turn?
The F-35 flies in combat formations of a mile or more across to (pick all that apply):
- Reduce the likelihood of a whole formation being seen all at once
- Keep from hitting one another
- Provide mutual support in visual formations
- Allow wingmen more freedom to maneuver against a mutual threat
1. Reduce the likelihood of a whole formation being seen all at once
3. Provide mutual support in visual formations
4. Allow wingmen more freedom to maneuver against a mutual threat
In tactical fighter situations, what does the term BVR mean?
- Ballistic variable reaction
- Beam volume and refraction
- Best virtual response
- Beyond visual range
4. Beyond visual range
Flying in weather conditions with no visual horizon requires the pilot to maintain the desired climb, dive and bank angle by primarily referencing which gauge?
- Airspeed indicator
- Attitude indicator
2. Attitude indicator
In a typical landing approach, what is considered to be a normal glide path angle to the runway?
- 4 - 5º
- 2 ½ - 3º
- 1 - 2º
2. 2 ½ - 3º